Friday, January 13, 2012

J's Birthday

Yesterday the sister had her birthday and, horror of horrors, I was so occupied with her babes I did not get a single photo of her. We had quite the group of family and friends who met up at the Crocker to see the latest exhibit before it goes away next week. 


I was on time, which meant I was about a half hour early. Which gave me time to peruse the gift shop before the family arrived. I met this lovely little metal man there.


This is the exhibit we saw. 


It really was a world of wonders. 

After lil' J realized he was not going to be able to get mom to go his bidding for the afternoon he walked straight over to where I was sitting took my hand and said "come on" with a little tug. 


He was rather fearful of the the exhibit, which consists of ceramic and metal sculptures involving the sculpted bones of outrageous animals, medical operations, monsters, and robots. When we walked in he tried to walk back out of the room, even voiced "scary" a couple times. I had to carry him. When we'd walk around a corner or up to a new piece his legs would tighten tensely around me. He and Q were both fixated in a terrified manner over the skeleton sculpture on a hospital gurney that shook with electric pulses every few moments - jumping judy. Q watched judy suspiciously even from across the room. Mom's birthday may result in some permanent trauma. 

After the exhibit we visited the "lab" where huge boards with magnets of household items were available to create your own robot - the lovely toaster fellow is mine. Along one wall there were a series of bins with bits and pieces: buttons, tape cassettes, pipe cleaners, red plastic cups, etc. which could be used to build a robot. 


Robot lab safety gear for Q. 


Doctor C hard at work on his creation. 


Here is your contraband photo to give you a sense of what the exhibit might be like. This little fellow lives on a pedestal in the lab with post-it notes for visitors to write potential names for him. 


What would you call him? I can't remember what I wrote, something like hornschnoz I think.

No comments: