Sunday, January 8, 2012

Books!

The Sacramento Friends of the Library hosts several book sales a year in their warehouse. Its the kind of place that makes me little insane because the books are in chaos. Granted they have them by general topic - but you can find history books in three different areas, and they have a very interesting division between fiction and literature. J and I have talked about going to several of their book sales, but have been waiting for the $6 a bag deal. That's right you take in your bag, fill it to capacity (or a little over in my case) and then pay $6 for all the book in the bag. It's such a deal. Because J and I have been musing over numerous projects we want to complete involving the destruction of the books basic function for artistic purposes - this seems like an even better deal. If I'm going to cut the book up, its better if it only cost me 50 cents.

Visions of the warehouse. Self after shelf after shelf.






It was extremely overwhelming. I filled 3 bags in less than an hour. Then paced myself filling 2 more bags.

There were some real treasures. One of my favorite things about used books is the personal inscriptions you come across. I did not buy the book below, but I loved what was written. 


It reads:

April 8, 1899

Hurrah for Alaska - Great luck and lots of love to You Two.

Lovingly - Ettie Isabel

Plan for the next book sale - not to get any books, just take photos of any inscriptions I come across.

This is my haul - in the trunk of my car. Not too shabby...


They get a little out of control when you can actually see all of them. Granted a large portion are not for reading - but for projects. I did find copies of books I've been wanting to read that I snatched up as well.

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

I have recently torn up a book for the sake of "art". Looks like I need to hurry and get the project finished before you start posting yours so that I don't lose my nerve! Yours are always SO good, so I'm excited and terrified (you know I'm going to compare it to my own project if it's even remotely similar) to see what you come up with.