If you haven't already realized (based on a potential knowledge of M) J and I are the recipients of genetic artistic talent, which I wish we'd both gotten a full portion of, though thinking of it, it possibly skipped my grandmother and this means there could be hope for our kids. As an example, here is the typical kind of thing one finds shoved in a drawer or collecting dust in the barn.
It is a woodcarving my Nana did. By EMS - Elizabeth Myers Simms. My art box has several pallet tools which bare the same EMS carved into them. Duncan Vail (founded 1869) was an art company in SF where she purchased the wood block for carving. They were bought in 1987 by Certified Art Supply.
And this is what she carved. At the bottom it reads Cy & Adrianne (did I spell that right M?) - she carved it in cursive...you can see her practicing writing Cy on the back.
Uncle Cy and Aunt Tana were Nana's sister and brother-in-law. I think the woodcut is just darling and so Pennsylvania Dutch, which some part of their family was.
No comments:
Post a Comment