Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sac Bee Revisited

I was cleaning out some photo files and came across this gem.


If you can't guess what this is, I'm disappointed that now you will know. This is the lovely photo that graced the front page of the Sacramento Bee newspaper and had everyone at my office talking. People still ask me about it - two weeks ago my masters program advisor brought it up. And last week a lovely lady from the provost's office gave me a shout out from about 30 feet away, walking across campus, that she is waiting for me to get into the paper again.

This is the same lady who called them morning the story ran - and then first I heard about it. She closed our phone conversation with "I thought it was you, because of the name, but the photo was blurry and I thought 'that can't be her that girl is to big to be her'." I was in shock as I hung up the phone. The experience was closely followed by one of our directors walking up behind me, waving the paper up and down while facetiously asking in a sing song voice "who's a single Mormon?" I laugh now - but I thought about going home sick.

Then there were all the people who were embarrassed for me and saw it but did not mention anything until someone else brought it up and they sheepishly added "Oh, yeah, I saw that" - which only confirmed the feeling that this was humiliating.

The story is still online here - it does not mention me at all - so don't read it expecting anything. I was just some unfortunate bystander who happened to be photographed while shoving something in her mouth. Half a cinnamon roll I believe - which was very sticky - which is why my fingers are lifted up ridiculously. I'm not flashing some sort of Mormon food signal. Now I'm deleting everything from my computer and will not be revisiting this again.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Hi- I came across your blog on the Forgotten Bookmarks giveaway. Wish I'd known he was giving away the 'Haunted Bookshop'. I had it once and it's companion 'Parnassus on Wheels" and let them go. they are excellent.
I also am a 'Secret Garden' fan, though a grandma. Don't know how many times I've watched the movie. There are at least two versions of it and both are excellent, but the one with Maggie Smith is best.
'Downton Abbey' is excellent;hubby and I both love it. Also, on the INSP channel, 'Wind at My Back', a Canadian series about the Depression days.
Enjoy your blog -