Thursday, February 16, 2012

Prospect of a Nursery

I am not, and have not ever been, a gardener. But I’ve always wanted to be. The credit goes to The Secret Garden, which to this day is one of my favorite books and one of the first real books I read on my own. I remember being so proud of myself when I finished it. I think it took the entire month of September to read. Grandpa S had an amazing garden when I was little. He still keeps a few things planted but it’s a sacrifice on his part to get down to the backyard to work on it. The B Grandparents had what I thought was a magical front yard, one covered with little white and pink flowers among the grass. Perfect for making crowns of flowers.

I always think - someday I’ll have a garden. I spent a few months after my first year at BYU working in the nursery section of Lowe’s. I’d get envious watching everyone walk out with their trees, flowers, and herbs. Someday.

Saturday after lunch we stopped at East Bay Nursery.


This is my new favorite tree - a Japanese Coral Bark Maple. I envision a forest of trees with coral and yellow trunks and bright green leaves that change to red in the Fall.
I think I need to go get some planters and pot some plants. It’s not like I don’t have room...I just always seem to be perpetually planning on moving within the next 6-8 months. Wanderlust. JRRT had something when he wrote “Not all those who wander are lost” – in my case I seem always to be seeking something that replants me. 

No comments: