Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Won't Goals


I used a different approach to my yearly goal list for 2013. As an expert to-do list maker I have notebooks full of lists. This year, rather than compile a list of things I want to accomplish this year I decided to do the opposite. It’s a list of things I absolutely DO NOT want to find myself having done at the end of 2013.

Plus, it seemed kind of silly to make a list of goals - it would be exactly the same as the things I've been praying over since April. I'm constantly goal focused and planning, so I decided to add something to mix up how I'm measuring things.

Many wonderful things in my life I never plan on. Sometimes efforts to plan (and I put A LOT of effort into planning) get in the way of good things I’m not seeing. Or I use time and energy that would be better used by doing things rather than planning. And this way I've identified things that are NEVER going to be priorities this year - related to my goal to change the way I look at my time and prioritize my to-do's (this post).

And while there are many goals I could put on a resolutions list, in reality there are only a handful of applicable and realistic anti-goals that I don’t want to inflict upon myself in 2013. As long as I’m not doing them, I’m good, and I can check things off those ubiquitous to-do lists as desired. 

Bright things ahead. 
Won't to be Happy. 
Happy 2013!

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

This is a great idea! I never thought of what I wont do anymore as opposed to what I want to do. I have a few things in mind. Get ready journal!

nancy @ adore to adorn said...

Well said!
A lot of amazing things in my life were all unplanned and unexpected. For me, "never say never" is true.
Happy 2013!
xo,
nancy