Monday, January 28, 2013

Book to Box

A few years ago I made my first book box and sent it off to T for her birthday. I've been saving up books ever since to convert into boxes. I've only managed to finish a handful though - due to the fact that it is absurdly time-consuming to cut out all the pages of a book by hand. It became apparent I would need a more efficient way to operate. Enter the parent's barn full of power tools. Specifically M's scroll saw. Though I have broken more saw blades than boxes I finished, it is vastly more effective than cutting the pages out by hand. And the inner paper is preserved intact for other projects.

Not that I don't already have more projects than I have time for. G's quilt is still sitting at the foot of my bed.

Wax paper rolls for gluing

 Stack of glued books

Saw in action - 10 seconds before the blade broke

 Finished box.

(I've totally got one picked out for you B.)