Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pops turns 51!

First, I should give feedback on the most wonderful gift I did for his birthday last year (here). I was excessively disappointed not all 50 of the cards came back! We had about a 50% return rate. If I hadn't sent them out in a rush (so he might get some on his birthday) and I had made a list of what number everyone was I would have been making some aggressive phone calls. Maybe the explanation wasn't clear enough?

This year we kept things simple - dinner.



I counted the dishwasher I bought for their anniversary as D's gift. In fact, I counted it for the parent's anniversary, G's birthday, D's birthday, and Christmas for everyone.All those birds with one stone.

Above the booth at the restaurant there was a poster for the Great Gatsby Festival at Lake Tahoe. I'm not sure how I have spent most of my life living in California and have never heard of this roaring event. Umm, a 1920's tea and fashion show, a vintage faire, historic house tours, rides in vintage cars, costumes encouraged? This has been missing from my life, I've discovered a gaping hole where it should be. August 2013! I mean look at these:

Event poster from 1994

Guests lunching (credit: Annie Flanzraich/Tahoe Daily Tribune, link)


And, there is an even more charming event in September at Dunsmuir - the Gatsby Summer Afternoon. Do yourself a favor and visit the link and scroll down to the pictures. And, um, there is an Art Deco Society of California? Of course there is...yet another gaping hole.

Sadly with the movie coming out in May the festival at Tahoe will probably be way more packed than last year - bad timing K. Not that I'm not looking forward to drooling over the movie's sets.

Wait, what was I actually posting about? D's birthday. Best dad ever!


He's sweet to put up with his peculiar children.

No comments: