Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Sale 2013 - Part 3: Book Art

This is going to be a long one. Hold on.

In another life I am going to be a book designer. Have you seen this Ted talk by Chip Kidd? It is one of my many favorites.

I'm sure it has something to do with the maps of the hundred acre wood found just inside the cover of A. A. Milne's Winne-the-Pooh books, E. H. Shepard's drawing is the one I always think of, but I love unexpectedly lovely illustrations in a text. Some examples from the latest haul.

 From Inside U.S.A. by John Gunther, besides being a beautiful map, all the red lines show the author's travels across the country. How amazing would it be to travel all those routes?

 The title should be lower, but that ship illustration is fantastic.

On the inside:


 Looks almost like a Longfellow paper doll.

 Cover of Prince of the Ghetto, which is a great book name for a collection of folktales by a Polish Jew.


Darling cover of one of my favorite books of all-time, I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith

These next three are all from the same book.
Another translation which according to the dust-jacket is a "gay ... amusing ... slightly terrifying! A first-hand account of what happens when the Red Army 'liberates' a country."


 Looks like a charming town, no? Can you spot the two poor folks on foot fleeing soldiers on horseback coming down the road towards the bottom left?

Love the caricature.
I still dream about his studio in Aix, one of my favorite places.

I still have not figured out what that kid is holding...

But here are some of the stories you are supposed to remember:

 A perfect illustration for a collection of Kipling.

 Parade of the Civil Guard as a cover.

I was a little disappointed there were not more images in this book beyond these.


 The little Mexican mountain village of La Vista, from A Miracle Every March (which if you read the inscriptions post, has NOTHING to do with people who have birthdays in March). Not to abbreviate too much, but a young teacher from the capital arrives to set up a school and gets the following response from the villagers, “How can anybody eat reading and writing?”

 Another amazing boat cover. Title approximately translates: Columbus of Australia: the narrative of Pedro Fernández de Quirós

1 comment:

BrittneyGrace said...

I love all of your books. I am so jealous.