It is December, which means the arrival of the annual office dec-a-board
competition. I've never
worked somewhere that's had so many office parties and events during work
hours, normally I decline from participation, but last year they talked me
into doing a board. And thus unknowingly I set a precedent for participation.
See last year's much more dedicated effort here.I
thought I'd go minimalist and carve my board this year. A layer of paint and a knife, what more do you need? After 2 hours of cutting and peeling with lackluster results I changed my plan. By the end I had pulled out the silhouette digital cutter and was
letting it do the work for me.
First off, I'm pretty sure I was sabotaged this year as my board was not white - it had signage on one side and a deep groove on the other.
Also I could not find the box my acrylic paint was packed in to save my life - this genius used oil instead.
I did like carving out the snowflakes - but the cost/benefit analysis determined it was not a good use of time or arm strength.
Yay regular paper, blades, and mats!
This is what I ended up with.
Then I went to work and saw what everyone else had done...
This one was my favorite - loved the plastic bowl snow globes.
You placed a marble at the top of the black foam and it rolled down into the box at the bottom.
I'm pretty sure whoever made this one did not craft those little houses with lights on inside.
Our student assistant made a recommendation that I should add more to mine (which I had conveniently forgotten at home). Just to show I wasn't bitter about last year, when mine really was the best, I made a halfhearted effort and glued more stuff on.
Final product.
I'd tell you the glare/lighting makes the colors look harsh - but I did, in actuality, glue neon-green letters on it. I'm still bitter it was so complicated to carve out the snowflakes. But my participatory office event quota for the year is complete.












No comments:
Post a Comment