Friday, December 2, 2011

The California Governor's Mansion



What does every Governor's Mansion need?


An amazing carriage house with a carved horse head over the door. Check!


A fabulous tour guide named Kent - seriously, get him if you can!


A totally retro TV set to greet you from afar. Check!


An eclectic mix of furniture. Check!


Awesome local visitors. Czech! Check!


Door hinges to rock your socks. Check!



Velvet lounge seats. Check! Awkward arrangement for conversation, no?


Christmas decor. Check!


Rooms you're not allowed to enter. Check!


Rooms you are allowed to enter. Check!



Sea foam green walls. Check!


A fake holiday turkey. Check!


Fabulous staircase. Check! "Banister - as in sliding down the..."


Tile, tile, tile. In a bathroom as big as my living room. Check!


Pink room for the governor's wife. Check!


Vintage gowns. Check!


Damask wall paper to die for. Check!



More sea foam green. Check!


Raggedy Andy doll. Check!


Wallpaper, wallpaper, wallpaper. Check!

C and I toured the Gov's mansion. Finally. It was everything I'd hoped for. Except the late family of about 18 that arrived at the last min and derailed our tour. Poor Kent spent most of the tour doing crowd control. I guess 18 people worth of admissions fees is helpful for preservation funds, begrudgingly accept their arrival. I still feel there was a vast ocean of information and anecdotes stored in Kent's brain we did not get the benefit of hearing. Next time. I've got to go back, if only to purchase every mid-century themed item in the gift shop.

No comments: