Sunday, November 27, 2011

Berkeley/Oakland #2

The Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland is amazing. After sacrament meeting in the Berkeley ward D & I headed over to the cemetery, it was awesome - in the true overwhelmingly awe inspiring sense of the word. I could have lingered over almost all the headstones, crypts, and mausoleums. The cemetery was designed by the same gent who set up Central Park (I learned from the Sacramento Old City Cemetery ladies several weeks ago that CP was modeled after a cemetery, though my guess is that there probably a few bodies hidden away in CP, they're really not that different). Mountain View is beautifully situated on the edge of the Oakland hills. 

Strolling through the mall sized mausoleum. 

The stain glass is gorgeous. 



Book urn? - Yes please!
D and I evaluated almost every interment method, my spectrum went from book shaped urns to the Crocker vault. While walking down a poorly cleared stairway I slipped on some debris but sadly sustained no injury - settlement for one of the empty sides of the Crocker vault would have been nice. 





I love headstones that provide more than names and dates. Mine should probably say something about the value of education - and maybe warn that one masters degree should be enough. Here are two of my favorites that we happened upon. 

Sioux Indian War? Wow!

Since you can't really read it the paragraph says: 

"Born in Oakland, Fred wanted only to be treated like every other American. Defying the 1942 order for the internment of Japanese Americans, he stood strong against anti-Asian prejudice in the United States during World War II. He challenged our nation's conscience, reminding us that we must uphold the rights of our own citizens even as we fight tyranny in other lands. A true hero and civil rights activist, Fred was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in January 1998."

Great job Fred! He also has one of the loveliest views in the cemetery. 

This is not Fred's view, but still lovely. 

Great 1920's super-sized headstone for the Kraft's, Egyptian theme all the way. 

The Crocker vault.

How amazing is this lock - if you're going to build a mansion style crypt - might as well put your initial on the lock. Props to Mr. Merritt.






"Darling, how would you like to spend this sunny afternoon?"
"Hmmm, let's grab some beers and go cuddle on some graves."
Romantic, Kinky, Weird? Whatever it is it was entertaining. 

Love, love, love that one pair of socks are bright white and the other - completely dingy. 

There is so much to say abut this one.... Did you know the "Bishop of Africa"was buried in Oakland? How about the "The people who sat in darkness saw great light" quote? But what is that little plaque? 

Wait? United Methodist Historic Site No. 16? What are sites 1-15? I feel a pilgrimage coming on. 
Note: No mockery of Methodism is intended by the above comments, I'm sure Mr. Taylor was a great bishop and likely had limited say in the way he was memorialized on a stone deemed important enough to be the #16 historic site for his faith. 

Loving this angel at the gate...is she/he guarding getting into the crypt or getting out of it? It's got a quill in one hand and a book in the other, the Book of Life? Writing them in, checking them off? Or is it a sign your own name in the book kind of deal? "The Twombly's were here...."



And last but not least - The Hooker memorial. D & I paid tribute to all the lovely Hookers we've never known.


The 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month they give a guided tour...I feel another visit approaching. I'd like some more background info on the residents here. At the Old City Cemetery you can adopt a plot and do research about the people buried in it, Mountain View has got to have something similar, bet there are some amazing stories. D & I were there for hours and the history thirst was barely quenched. 

No comments: