Saturday was packed. D had a quartet rehearsal for the Oakland East Bay Gay Men's Chorus at his house in the morning - while N made breakfast I did my homework (reading Pirates of Penzance) listening to a live performance of Mele Kalikimaka.
The day included trips to the Oakland Museum, The Bone Room, and the Chabot Space & Science Center.
The Oakland Museum was lovely - I was not terribly impressed with the art exhibit. There were several pieces I did like or thought were interesting, but the California history exhibits were amazing. I easily get excited about museums - these were practically giddiness levels. There were interactive elements everywhere, in really creative and interesting displays. I had to run through or I knew I'd spend hours there.
D posing in the picture spot of the California Gold Rush and settlement section.
I had not previously realized that my hair was almost black.
If only street lamps could still look like this...
It doesn't just happen on the Oregon Trail.
In the exhibit on the 60's called "Forces for Change" the museum gave about 20-25 individuals a small cube space to fill with items representing their experiences during the 60's. I was completely taken with Mr. Sarnoff's display. He was a peace activist in LA. The letter below caught my interest and I had to drag myself away from his items.
The last lines are crazy "The time is coming when we surely will have a dictator in this country, and I'll be happy to welcome this event. We are not about to have ilk as you take over the country." Wonder what the man who wrote Irving this letter would think about it being on display? What does he think about it now? Not that political discourse is much improved these days - so interesting.
After the museum we were off to The Bone Room. If you ever find yourself in need of a 8th-9th century human skull the going rate at the bone room is currently $2,200. You can also purchase a full human skeleton for just over $5 grand - bones all labeled and everything. The store is also full of slightly less macabre offerings liked pinned insect specimens of all shapes and sizes. have you been dying for a tarantula encapsulated in resin to use as a paperweight? The Bone Room can help you out.
That evening we headed up to the Chabot to check out the telescopes (got a lovely look at jupiter) and watch a couple shows in the Planetarium. My favorite was the live show - Cosmos 360. Fantastic.
Got a little carried away in the "weightless" photo booth.
This last one is my favorite - D's face!!!
Up next - The Oakland Mountain View Cemetery.



2 comments:
A good friend of mine worked on a bunch of the history exhibits at the Oakland museum. I haven't been to see yet, but she's a genius, so I'm not surprised the displays are awesome.
Amy, right? As I was walking through I thought she must have a fantastic time working there. The museum wasn't at all what I expected.
Post a Comment