Friday, March 27, 2009

Sourdough Cookies








Yes, that's right! Sourdough cookies. This post is totally a shout out to the fam - who are probably also trying to find ways to keep the Butler family sourdough starter active. After 3 months of bread making and the 20 hour process that comes with it I have begun searching for alternative methods of using my starter - cuz seriously there is no way I am going to make myself that many pancakes every couple weeks.

This week I stumbled across a recipe for sourdough cookies and thought I would give it a try. Granted I spent 5 hours making cookies the other night (though I realize now if I had just moved the racks in the oven I probably could have baked two sheets at a time and simplified the process, but whatever). Brit was nice enough to come and keep me company during the endeavor and then Jes entertained me by phone after she left. By the time I finished 3 batches of cookies at 11:30 at night I had eaten so many and had so much dough that I never wanted to see another cookie again. Unfortunately I had a pile of well over 70 cookies.

It was almost as much work as the bread (I will also be considering the purchase of a electric mixer-a kitchenaid would be a lovely gift for someone graduating with their Masters, hint, hint if anyone wants to take that up - I like the Artisan series in Bayleaf). I handed out 40 cookies at work and had friends over for dinner last night who were kind enough to indulge themselves and I of course have had my fair share so this photo is of the cookies that are left over - though I do have a bag full in the cupboard as well.

Here is the recipe:
3C. Flour
1tsp. Salt
1/2tsp. Baking Powder
1/2C. Butter
1 1/2C. Sugar
2 Eggs
1tsp. Vanilla
1C. Sourdough Starter
Preheat oven to 375F.
Cream butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately w/ the sourdough. Drop onto a greased cookie sheet & sprinkle w/ a mixture of cinnamon & sugar.
Bake @ 375F for 12 min.

2 comments:

jes said...

Forget writing my presentations I am making cookies!! By the way, how do take such amazing photos? What kind of camera are you using?

KES said...

I just used my regular Olympus camera :)