Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Splurge

I know this will shock everyone but I can't resist the jewelry at this shop in Seattle - if I ever go I have to stop by.

The reason I deserve the splurge is because I kill myself at work. Sometimes I don't even realize it, I get so caught up in being productive I don't stop to think about my bizarre tendency to accomplish what should not be humanly possible. Today someone explained it is because I am so "capable" - I seem to expect myself to work at 110% all the time. When reality does not match my expectations I become frustrated.

B and J announced this afternoon that we will be hiring a new staff member, I was so relieved I came home and slept for 2 hours. When I awoke I was so fuzzy I did not know where I was. Thus in celebration of the new hire, C  (whose husband J  I took a class with, he graduate from my Masters program last year), and in greater celebration of the fact that I will no longer be required to do the jobs of 3 individuals and will now only be working for 2 - I deserve a reward!

After I regaining my mental facilities I realized how incredibly stressed I have been the past few weeks/months/since A left our department over a year ago/or maybe since I started working at the University - I never realize fully until the relief sets in how strained I am. Now my worries are finishing 14 more papers in the next two weeks (I have written 2/16), training C, getting through the next month of work while teaching her - but the relief of just having her there is wonderful. She already works internally so J  is going to meet with her current supervisor tomorrow to see if she can come for an hour everyday to start training with me immediately.

Of course, B let me know for the next year I will have to work with C on everything, but I don't even mind that I will still be the programmer "accountable" for projects, I won't have to do all the work so I am thrilled.

Thus a celebration gift is in order.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5251093

2 comments:

jes said...

That is a cute necklace and you deserve it. Isn't it funny that they are expecting you to stay and work for another year, when before you started no one ever stayed longer than a year :)

BrittneyGrace said...

So pretty much I am now in love with your blog and will be stalking you. feel free to stalk back...I am also stealing everything that I love that you post and i just wanted to give you the heads up about it.