Friday, March 13, 2009

Fender bender

Over half a year ago, while backing up, my mother scrapped my fender on one of those cement blocks at the front of our parking space. Sadly it came unhinged and had to be reattached. Since then I have been VERY careful about not scraping it on anything. Today, Friday the 13th that luck ran out.

It started at about noon, when I was driving the university car to run an errand (I had just finished some meetings at the Law School and was swinging by the store on my way back to the office to pick up sandwiches for me and my coworker C). As I am driving down F Street in Davis I notice a guy walking down the street grab his girlfriend to start pushing a car that had died one or two cars in front of me. By the time the two cars between us had moved on I was laughing because it was C's car.

Hours pass.

At 4:30 C and I left work to go pick up his car. I was on the phone with AAA arranging for towing so C drove us in my car to the parking lot where the lovely couple had pushed his car. Of course we had to wait over 30 min, even though the tow company that arrived is based in Davis - ridiculous!

As I was backing out of the parking lot to follow the tow truck my fender hit cement - hard. When C parked it I didn't remember is scraping - but coming off it sure did. I had forgotten about it by the time we reached the auto shop, but sure enough as we rounded the corner to return to the car I had to laugh because the edges of my fender where hanging, almost dragging on the ground. C did screw them back on - but it is not quite the same and I was in such a rush to get to my babysitting appointment (as the towing had taken longer than expected) that there was not really time to ensure the fender was actually flush.

As this is the second time my fender has been ripped from its bearings it is starting to get a little warped. In combination with the insane day at work - totally ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as Thursday - I had a very stereotypical Friday the 13th - for the first time in my life - the kind of day I loath where nothing seems to go right.

No comments: