This weekend has been indescribable…and there are still many hours to go. It really began Thursday evening when I got off work. Thursday was terrible! I often have bad days at work but this was ridiculous. My coworkers were meeting for drinks after work, but I opted to scurry home to clean up a little before J and E came over for dinner. At lunch that day I had gone to the store to pick up something to make – but I still was not sure what I would prepare. Thus we ate later than the planned 7:00pm. Granted I had a fantastic time visiting with them but it was a bad idea to stay up so late in retrospect, though I would do the same again, so....
Thankfully there was a University holiday on Friday so no work. I slept until 11am. Heaven. Of course then I woke up and worked out – the cookies are killing me – and then got in the shower. I was planning on meeting my friend CS for lunch but of course we had to reschedule for the second or third time for next week. Then it was errands and projects until it was time to head over to get the keys and info for house and dog sitting this weekend. Typically, I was not prepared and had to head back home after the family left to pick up my stuff.
By the time I was done I had just enough time to run back, feed the dog and myself before getting ready to go to Emily’s parents for a get together. I had a lovely evening Friday too, but I stayed later than I should have and the dog was none too pleased with me. I was also trying to do my laundry so I was up until well after 1am moving loads from washer to dryer so I might have something to wear on Saturday.
I should have just gone to bed. Saturday was going to be a full day in and of itself. C and I were headed up to my grandparents for visiting and golfing with Papa. I picked C up a little after 7 – which means I awoke at an ungodly hour that I rarely am forced to see. We had a nice drive up to Clearlake until…we reached Williams.
Noting the funny look on my face C prompts, “Did your battery light just go on?” I nod and continue my puzzled expression as my dash freaks out and the radio turns off. Next thing you know the ABS warning light is on and my brake light is flashing. I stop the car, turn it off, pause, and restart. Now the ABS light and the warning light for the airbags turn on. The last thing I need is to be driving down windy highway 20, have my airbags go off and totally obstruct my view. It would be suicide. We make it to my Grandparents without incident and are happy to assume there is probably a fuse blown somewhere.
Of course we were late as I was driving extra cautiously, so we had to leave almost immediately for the golf course. Papa and I played 9 lovely holes and C hit A ball. It was soo much fun and the weather was beautiful. So beautiful. After golfing we headed back to the house and visited with Grandma over lunch. Then it was out to the deck for bathing suits and puzzle’s for a few hours. We had dinner before we left and headed out at about 5:15 (maybe). By 5:30 my car was dead! I mean dead dead, as in it ceased functioning completely. It took me 5 min to close the sun roof – moving the dang thing a centimeter every thirty seconds. Luckily we were able to coast to the side of the road. After a while and some ridiculous laughter that brought us to tears over our present situation I was feeling a little better. Here we are:

Some specifics of our predicament:
- Car is dead
- No one is stopping
- No cell phone service (grandma did make sure our phones were charged tho)
- I have to get back to Davis to feed the dog
- We are in the middle of nowhere
- Highway 20 is probably one of the worst places ever to break down
We were getting a little desperate, okay I was. I decided to try calling 911 and as I was about to do so recalled – AAA has installed a GPS emergency assistance device in my car – We are saved! I was sooo excited. I have discovered the fatal flaw with the GPS system – if there is no phone service it won’t work. I thought I had signed up for peace of mind and all I got was big brother tracking my location 24 hours a day.
We put our sneakers on – time to walk to where we could get cell phone service (outside of the hills) to phone help. The roadside hike was a totally unplanned addition to the day.We walked about two miles before a nice lady and her daughter stopped and picked us up. They drove us to the valley (there is no way we would have made it on foot before dark) by now it was almost 7pm, oh how fast time flies when you are stranded. I must add here that C was an excellent companion through all of this. I was busting up almost the entire time. It was actually an adventure and while vexing and a little stressful it was not the end of the world.
Once I had service I phoned AAA (though I had lost my membership card between getting out of the car and getting service – I found it on the highway by the car). They said someone would be there by 7:17 and we must return to the vehicle. Then C suggested we phone the CHP. We tried to call the local business line but to no avail. Finally I dialed 911. I think it was the first time I have ever done so in my life.
Here is an approximation of the conversation:
911: “911 emergency response, what is your emergency?”Me: “I don’t have an emergency, I am trying to call the CHP dispatch.”
911: “This is the highway patrol dispatch, what is your emergency?”
Me: “I don’t have an emergency.”
911: “Mam, 911 is for emergencies and life or death situations only”
Me: (very timidly) “Alright, thanks”
911: “Well what is your problem?”
Me: “Our car has broken down on the side of the highway.”
911: “WELL, that IS an emergency” (Sweet relief) “where are you located?”
I provide directions, my name and contact information
911: “Is there anyone traveling with you?”
Me: “Yes”
911: “Male or Female”
Me: “Female”
911: “Two young things stranded on the highway! I will alert CHP to check on you”
Okay the CHP was totally beat by the tow truck guy! He reached us first. The lovely woman who picked us up (Pand her daughter S) drove us all the way back to my poor car and stayed with us until the tow truck arrived a little after 7:25.
Tow truck guy: “I can take you to Williams and leave you at Denny’s as it will be at least three hours before I can tow you to Davis.”
Oh the horror! Don’t fear, we managed not to have to wait at all in
Williams – alright we had enough time to run into Denny’s and get two
hot chocolates to warm our spirits. Then we were on the road. My dad met us in Davis and has kindly given me his car for a few days. This in no way accurately portrays the true horrors and humor experienced
during this adventure but does explain why I need a weekend to recover
from my weekend.





2 comments:
There are no words! Thank goodness you weren't alone. I would have been completely freaking out!
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I guess i am somewhat glad I couldn't make it then...I am just kidding. I am glad to hear you are safe. That sucks really bad...
Post a Comment