Sunday, December 22, 2013

Through The Years

Judy Garland has been absolutely reducing me to tears and small sobs when she comes on the radio.

I don't think this is just me, but I have several favorite Christmas movies which aren't Christmas movies at all. Little Women is one. Meet Me in St. Louis is another. Almost purely for the scene where Esther sings, "...have yourself a merry little Christmas" to Tootie. This year, more than any previous, I'm sympathizing with them and their sadness over leaving so much of what they love.

Someday soon, we all will be together
If the Fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

I suppose I've got to make it as merry as possible now, while I can. But maybe I'll be lucky and manage to get home from country X every year for Christmas. I'd take every other year. Or even some years. 10-20 years seems like a long time to miss Christmas. Lots of muddling. 


Note - I am thrilled about the new job, and leaving - but that doesn't mean it isn't tinged with sorrow.


No comments: