Back in August, more like July, I decided I wanted to find something different for a few months while I waited to hear from the U.S. Dept. of State. I was very lucky, the first temp company I met with, got me the first and only interview I had (or needed) for a perfect position. I new it was perfect at the interview. I took this photo right afterwards and it exactly reflects how I felt about the position and the entire situation.
My grandparents agreed to let me take over their basement to facilitate a move down to the Bay Area. Working at Williams-Sonoma was exciting enough on it's own. The building and location are fantastic.
My commute is filled with all sorts of views. Bringing some new variety each day.
As you might expect sometimes it does feel as though you are working in a Pottery Barn catalog.
But, I haven't said anything about the actual job yet. I've been working in the Customs Operations and Compliance department. It's been fantastic. I've learned all kinds of random information about customs and trade policies. Mostly I've been dealing with Australian regulations on the importation of food. I find it really interesting and I'm sure there will be several things I've learned that may come in handy one day while working for the Foreign Service. And if there is ever a chance to do it again I'd love to. If I wasn't already going to work for the federal government I'd seriously consider becoming a customs broker.
The other wonderful thing about my brief stint down in the bay has been this:
At this point I'm a little skeptical that the wide world is going to provide many locations that will rival what I've been experiencing every day. Perhaps that's why I take so much time to notice, because I've known I'd only be here full-time for a limited time. While my initial contract was only set to last three months my boss informed me half way through that they would like to keep me there until it was time for me to leave. This job has been a blessing in innumerable ways. I almost want to stay...almost.
No comments:
Post a Comment