One of the things I really wanted to do on my visit was see the Cleveland Museum of Art. We parked at the institute building and walked to the museum. Of course, with my luck, they were doing renovations on portions of the museum. But almost every section was open. It was amazing. Though I was completely befuddled when we walked in and there was no obvious desk where one might purchase tickets, can you believe it, the museum is free. I was blown away.
Brought back a million great memories of the Musee Rodin in Paris!

A Study for "Bathers at Asnieres, Seurat.
A favorite French artist of mine.
The Call, 1902, Paul Gauguin
Vase of Flowers, 1905, Odilon Redon
Here was another exciting moment, Redon's Flower Clouds (you can look it up) is seriously one of my favorite paintings ever. Though as a French Symbolist painter he has some pretty weird stuff, I was totally delighted with this painting in Cleveland, breathtaking colors.
Love the suit of armor! Bedknobs and Broomsticks anyone?
Tiffany Stained Glass Window
Stag at Sharkey's, 1909, George Bellows.
Okay Bellows is one of my favorite early 20th century painters. Hyperventilating at the museum over this one.
The Burning of the Houses of Lords and Commons, 1834, Joseph Mallord William Turner.
Major kudos to the Cleveland Museum for having an amazing collection that is free. There was also a fantastic special exhibit on Japanese and Korean "painted poetry" basically scrolls, screens and porcelain pieces that all had Chinese poems integrated into the art. It was amazing - but I totally got reprimanded for trying to take a photo - they should really have those signs more prominently displayed.
1 comment:
that you even knew any of these artists is shocking to me. let's not talk about how uncultured i am! (although i did point out the van goghs...like that's hard)
Post a Comment