By the time it was 11:00. I was so emotionally exhausted I just crawled back into bed. L de G, who I lived with when I was here on study abroad chose this opportune moment to call the hotel to set up a time for us to go to dinner that evening. This woke me up a bit and I was able to get some work done after that.
I was feeling slightly better and decided to take advantage of the rest of the day and venture out into the city. I visited a few places and then got on the metro. I was not certain where I was going to go at this point so I simply changed trains a few times. I realized I was hungry and decided to head over to the Louvre for lunch and then visit the museum. However, I got off one stop to late and as I was standing up top trying to get my bearings this person I had seen several metro stops previously walked up and started talking to me in French. Disturbingly he had been following me for several metro and had only just been able to catch me – I should have kept walking. I pretended like I did not understand a word he said, which was not very difficult because he was Moroccan and had a terrible French accent. In about 5 min he explained that he had been in France for 6 years and was still looking for a job. By this time I was incredibly annoyed that he was bothering me and indicated that I needed to go to the Louvre, I started to walk away and he followed me. I spent the next hour trying to get rid of him. Finally I bought my ticket into the museum and when he tried to buy one I told him no. It was all horrific, and now I am terrified of running into him again.
After that experience the solitude of the Louvre was wonderful. It is an amazing place. You can be in an area full of people and turn a corner and suddenly find yourself in an almost empty corridor full of treasures. So much has changed. I was there at least once a week when I was here before and I found tons of new exhibits, along with many old favorites. It was off to the garden after that and then back to the hotel where I rested my feet while waiting for Laurence. We had dinner at this charming little café where I ate what was probably one of the best desserts of my life. She then took me around Paris in her car which was great fun, especially when we were pulled over by a French Policeman. By the time I got back to the hotel at midnight I was more than ready for bed.


1 comment:
Hi Kristen, well you know what I think of irons. As for your metro experience as a mother I can only say AAAAAAH!!! I am glad the day ended well. And safe! We miss you. The mirror has not arrived for the jetta, so it is still enjoying the spa:)Love Mom (take every opportinity to enjoy yourself...he he)
Post a Comment