Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pending Departure - How does one find time to pack?

I know it is hard to ask for sympathy right before your boss sends you off to Paris, but when your flight leaves at 6:00 am on Saturday and you will be working 12-13 hour days on Thursday and Friday it is difficult to be enthusiastic. Do I sense doubt? “Ah, but K you thrive off the chaos of it all”. You are correct, but all things in moderation, please. 

When it rains it pours, a new semester begins next week and I have not yet received a response from my thesis committee about my proposal. Even an acknowledgment they received it would suffice. Perhaps they are so blown away they don’t know what to say. Hopefully reading it did not kill them. 

In addition I have deposited my car at the repair shop and am soooo looking forward to the hefty fees I will have to pay to reclaim it. Not that I was planning on buying anything in Paris anyways. 

This week will bring big changes at work as one group of LL.M. students will be leaving and another arriving. Interestingly (for those of you who have been following the Georgia/Russian conflict) I have a student coming to study in Davis from Georgia. The airport he was to leave from was destroyed (though I am not sure what exactly constitutes destroyed, but that was how he described it) so he had to travel to Armenia and catch a flight from there. The professors at the law school are going to love him in all the current events discussions.

With the comings and goings I am receiving all sorts of interesting gifts. A pair of earrings from Turkey, which arrived today, take the cake so far. I love that one aspect of my job is I get to spend so much time with such a variety of people. Countries represented for the next nine months are: Georgia, Turkey, Kenya, Mexico, Germany, France, China, Taiwan, Korea, Iraq and India. Should be an interesting group.

1 comment:

Tali Nay said...

Paris. Sigh. Wish I was going with you. Let's talk soon.