Sunday, May 4, 2014

You're Shocked, I Know

I posted something!

I'm certain you've all been distraught over my lack of rambling blog posts, rest assured, I don't intend drop the blog. Once I've left the English speaking world you're probably going to wish I posted less. Especially if I start going back through the last 8 months and finishing off the 36 (yes, 36) drafted blog posts I started and never finished.

Where to begin....

If you have not heard I'm headed to Bamako, Mali in August. I've been buying up books on Africa like crazy. Naturally I arrived in DC certain there was no way I was going to Africa by myself. Perhaps, someday, family in tow I'd be happy to go. But alone, no way. Then the short list of options was handed out.

Before receiving said list I'd outlined my priorities for exactly what I wanted, in the hope that I wouldn't be swayed and pick post that I might not be happy with due to things I'd be giving up for a "name". Turns out Mali was the single option that gave me every one of my priorities (at least in part). I can honestly say I'm headed to my first choice of the options I was given. So what were the requirements that have me heading off to Timbuktu (which currently I will not be able to visit as it's considered too dangerous)?

1. There are several different offices I had the option to work in, this job will put me in the office I wanted to be in.

2. Language training. I wanted language training, and it's even better that I'll be taking three months of French so I can build on what I already know.

3. Church. This is the one I fudged a little. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not actually organized in Mali. There are no meeting houses, no wards - but there are members and they do meet informally on at least a semi-regular basis.

4. D&N's wedding. I'm part of the wedding party for D&N's wedding in August and if possible I wanted to stay long enough to be able to participate. Not only because I adore them and want to be there for them, but because of everyone who will be attending. I won't have the opportunity to see friends frequently in the future so being in attendance seemed especially valuable.

5. Student loans. The State Dept has a program where they provide a supplemental student loan payment to employees serving at hardship posts of more than 20% hardship. Mali meets that requirement.

6. R&R time. Mali has 2 R&Rs. Meaning that once a year I can fly home without having to pay for the plane ticket myself. Or I can apply the amount the ticket would cost to a trip elsewhere.

7. Weather. No snow. At some point it will happen. There are plenty of places I'd be happy to go that reach frigid temperatures. This time I wanted somewhere warm.

Those I've talked to who have been posted or lived there love Bamako, and have had nothing to say but good things about working there. I'm grateful it worked out the way it did.

I'm almost halfway through my training and now that winter has finally relented (how did I live in Provo for four winters?) I'm enjoying DC. Virginia is beautiful. Half my days here have passed and there are many unchecked items on my list of things to see and do. I also have a horrendously long list of things to buy, and tasks to complete before I leave. I'm doubly grateful to have time for everything I need and want to do.


You still have three months to come visit in DC. If not, you'll have to come to Mali. Which you can actually do! Just be sure to get your shots, take malaria medication, and don't drink the water.

It will be an adventure.

No comments: