Almost a year ago the director of our department said, “K, our entire staffing plan is dependent upon you being here for the next year” and she promised me a promotion. Said promotion has been in-process since. It was finally approved last week. I get a lovely stipend covering 9/1/08-3/31/09 (of an unknown amount) – which will go to my tuition. Then my raise and promotion apparently went into effect on 4/1/09. I have yet to understand why the process took so long; I guess I should consider myself lucky that at a time when the university is making big cuts they can still give me a promotion.
What is interesting is that finally having a codified job description will theoretically mean less work for me. I am not sure how that happens – the responsibility is heaped on and then when you actually get your position description half of the stuff you do is not on it – the mysterious “other duties as assigned”.
Now that I have almost survived my third summer working here and finally gotten my 3rd promotion I have resolved to do my job, not that I wasn’t before, but I am going to do my job and NOT do everyones jobs.
Officially (I think) my job should just be to coordinate the International Commercial Law LL.M. program, basically meaning that I manage an entire graduate program from beginning to end myself, and to work with another co-worker to coordinate another summer program for foreign lawyers no in the LL.M. program. Having just come through the craziest part of the year I must say that I love my responsibilities and the students, there is a LOT I would change outside those two elements. So we will see how long I will continue to make it.
For now I am going to celebrate!
2 comments:
Congrats on the promotion! I wish I had one of those. :)
I'm glad it finally went through! Woo-hoo! Enjoy your stipend.
Post a Comment