I know I made many of you eat that tomato tart I was obsessed with a few years ago, this is WAY better and easier to make. I am already planning multiple variations. We are having a little party at work on Friday to celebrate my graduation and I am thinking about bringing one - but it might be a little uncouth for me to bring food. For those of you not intimidated by rolling out a crust here is the recipe:
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus 4 tablespoons, plus more for tart pan.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 1/2 lbs onions, finely chopped
1 lrg egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp ground pepper
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1/4 cup grate Parmesan of Swiss cheese (I actually used Asiago)
1. Butter a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Add 1/2 cup chilled butter, and combine with fingers or a pastry blender until it is the texture of coarse meal. Add 1/2 cup cold water, and stir just until a dough forms. Form into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 15 min.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough into a 1/8-inch-thick round. Fit dough into prepared tart pan. Line with a parchment-paper round, and fill with pie weights. Chill for 15 min. Transfer to oven, and bake for 15 min. Remove pie weights and parchment paper. Bake for 5 min more. Remove from oven.
4. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly browned and softened, about 15 min. Remove from heat.
5. In a small bowl, combine egg, cream, remaining teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in onions.
6. Sprinkle baked tart shell with cheese. Spread onion mixture evenly over cheese. Bake until set, 35 to 40 min.
No comments:
Post a Comment