Monday, October 20, 2008

How to spend a vacation…

1. Do nothing, even when homework is piling up and your thesis is looming large. This marks my third and final week of vacation. My boss was continually forgetting I am going to be gone. Last week she was shocked when I told her I would be out this week. It has only been planned since August so how was she to know? I fully intended to be productive and Sat I got as far as cleaning my room and doing some reading. Eventually I just gave in to nothing.

2. Visit your sister - she is having her first child. My mom wanted to wait until Wednesday but there was no way I was going to get research done at the library and help out after driving all day Wednesday and being there Thurs and Fri with Dad, C and G arriving for the weekend. Mom was persuaded - Tuesday would be the day. Me being me, flying somewhere every month this year, I decided that driving to Utah just was not going to cut it. So I booked one-way flights to Salt Lake and a rental car.

Insert stories about K and Salt Lake car rental companies. In Feb when I flew out to “do research for my thesis” I booked the cheapest rental rate and got a 2008 Ford Mustang. In June when I flew out to help J move I booked the cheapest rate and got a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which was helpful as J and I did a bit of shopping for the apartment). The rental for this upcoming trip will be a surprise - even I was totally blown away with the rate - $8.74/day that is $35 for four days, that is nuts and I didn’t even go with the economy rate. So while I indented to do nothing the week will be full. The drive back to California on Sunday sure will be interesting and a fitting end to a vacation.

3. Become so exhausted you will need a vacation after your vacation. Sadly no such follow-up vacation will occur. On Saturday 20 lawyers from Brazil landed in Sacramento and will be in Davis for two weeks. I will miss the first hectic week. Along with a reception the Dean of the Law School is putting on for our LL.M. students. The problem is that though the Dean hosts the reception all he does is show up, I ordered the food, planned everything, and then left it for my assistant and another colleague to put on. Am I nervous – I will worry about it when I get back and if nothing goes wrong I won’t worry at all.

Hopefully the nephew arrives tomorrow!

No comments: