Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On Patience



Taken yesterday morning during my commute.




“I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.” - John Burroughs, Summit of the Years*

This quote is life right now. Every day is too short. I cannot seem keep all thoughts I want to ponder in my head and they are too numerous to sit and write down (I’ve tried). And forget trying to follow any one of them to its conclusion. They swirl around contending, attempting to push others out. I remind myself this medley of thoughts and concerns isn’t permanent and in a few weeks/months I will no longer be required to dedicate time to some of them. I’m certain they have a mind of their own and the insistent, pushy thoughts (loud with minor value) know their resolution is coming and are in revolt. Not to be calmed not matter how many times I tell them to be patient and that they are not important. They must be worried over and disrupt. They will likely be replaced with equally boisterous and attention craving thoughts. I do hope those quiet, patient thoughts will hold out, as I do want to sit down and spend a good deal of time thinking about them. They are the ones I want to think about.

Don’t even get me started on all the books I want to read. I’m already on my 7th book this year - I’m not even letting myself bemoan not having time for more reading. There will never be enough time for all the books – EVER.

What stuck me was that looking back from the ‘summit of the years’ Burroughs STILL felt there was not time. This means I will likely NEVER have time for all the thoughts, walks, books, and friends I want. Cue mourning and feelings of loss. Oh sorrow. If I do not get in the habit of making time now, it may never happen. But there is just so much to do!

My commute has a godsend in this respect. In no traffic Google estimates my commute takes 49 min. With traffic in the evening... much longer. It gives me solid uninterrupted time to think. In all the chaos around, I’m glad to remember each day is short, and to plan accordingly. I’m up and doing all I can. Apologies to all the thoughts, walks, books, and friends...I do wish there was time. I’m fitting in what I can.

And what I need will find me. The last year echoed constantly the need to slow down, be a little more patient, and still.

Also, I’m the newest John Burroughs fan. I’d better go buy all his books! Wait...shoot. To end, a poem by him. Written at 25.

Waiting
A poem by John Burroughs

Serene, I fold my hands and wait,
Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea;
I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
For lo! my own shall come to me.

I stay my haste, I make delays,
For what avails this eager pace?
I stand amid th’ eternal ways,
And what is mine shall know my face.

Asleep, awake, by night or day,
The friends I seek are seeking me;
No wind can drive my bark astray,
Nor change the tide of destiny.

What matter if I stand alone?
I wait with joy the coming years;
My heart shall reap where it hath sown,
And garner up its fruit of tears.

The waters know their own and draw
The brook that springs in yonder heights;
So flows the good with equal law
Unto the soul of pure delights.

The stars come nightly to the sky;
The tidal wave unto the sea;
Nor time, nor space, nor deep, nor high,
Can keep my own away from me.

*I will admit, I saw this quote on Pinterest. It took several Google searches, finally did one in Google Scholar, before I could verify John Burroughs did in truth write the above. Sources people!Pleased to discover him though.

No comments: