Monday, November 26, 2012

Documentary Round-up

As the year isn't close to over maybe it's premature for this, I'll likely add additional titles. As I've got a few posts I can't yet write without potentially hazardous repercussions, it's something.

Confession: I love Netflix. Though I rarely complete a film in one sitting. Looking over the past year's list it's about 90% documentaries - the rest movies mostly made decades before I was born.

A moment I loved - Richter painting, I was frozen.


Here is the list of documentaries I've watched over the last 12 months (Hopefully I didn't miss more than one or two):

Unmistaken Child - A Tibetan monk goes in search of the reincarnation of his dead master, Lama Konchog. A fascinating process to observe. I had some moments of disbelief, but believing in a religion many probably think is equally unbelievable myself, I did my best to erase incredulity. Still can't get over this kid.

Life in a Day - It's amazing. The small yet intimate, average but amazing, moments of life occurring as the earth completes one rotation.

Being Elmo - Also amazing. For the love of puppets watch it.

Reel Injun - Examines the way Native American's have been portrayed in film. I found it particularly interesting after working on the California Indians exhibit at the California Museum (that exhibit I did research and a little graphic design for, if you've forgotten).

The Rape of Europa - Always a favorite, makes me want to simultaneously sob uncontrollably over all the art stolen and destroyed during WWII, scream at the screen in frustration, and kiss every one of the individuals who sacrificed to thwart arts destruction.

Between the Folds - Origami. If you like paper (and I do) it's interesting, but slow at times.

Visual Acoustics: The Modernism of Julius Shulman - Photographing architecture, it's a great pairing.

A Touch of Greatness - Albert Cullum is my educational hero; his middle school students discuss poetry and drama on a level beyond many folks in my graduate program. The black and white footage is wonderful. And the giant map - love!

Marwencol - Fascinating, though I'll willingly admit to feeling, at times, like a voyeur observing a personal world. Gist - man gets rather savagely beat-up, brain damage, he builds a fictional (barbie-size) WWII town where he processes life experiences through dolls. The Steve McQueen doll was quite a dish. Best film you'll ever watch about a man playing with dolls.

The Parking Lot Movie - Entirely about a parking lot in Virginia and the attendants who worked there. Surprisingly wonderful.

The Reinactors - Don't bother. They try just a little too hard - impersonators on Hollywood Boulevard.

The Queen and I - Relationship between the filmmaker and the Shah of Iran's wife, Farah. Good.

5 Sides of a Coin - Documentary about hip-hop, its more than just rap folks.

Romantico - Two Mexican mariachi singers from San Francisco to Mexico. Pretty heartbreaking.

Bulletproof Salesman - Fabulous film about a luxury armored car salesman, basically a war profiteer. I was riveted, and it obviously left an impression because driving around the next day I saw a duck-tape wrapped box lying in the road and the thought "crap an IED" flashed across my mind.

Pressure Cooker - Inner city Philadelphia high school students in culinary arts class. Funny and touching. I cried at the gym watching it.

American Mullet - Not the highest quality film, but need I say more than the title?

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Foodie heaven. Amazing. Entertaining. Makes me hungry now just thinking about it.

Unusual Buildings & Other Roadside Stuff - I don't know what it is about American that produced this stuff, but I'm glad someone did. Though I don't think I could live in a giant shoe or duck.

Make Believe - Film about young magicians competing to become the teen world magic champion. Spoiler: I was glad that girl does not win. I did adore the kid who does win. Highly recommended.

Samsara - Breathtaking. An image is worth a million words in this case.

The Human Experience - I don't know that I could do some of the things they do, but I was touched.

The Rock-afire Explosion - 80's animatronic band.

Give Me the Banjo - I may take up banjo playing.

Strictly Background - More than you ever wanted to know about being a Hollywood extra.

Gerhard Richter Painting - I could watch him paint for hours. I want his studio. Adored.

Did you make it all the way to the end?

2 comments:

elliespen said...

Are most of these on Netflix? I've seen some of these and others look really interesting. I'd recommend checking out "Kings of Pastry" if you haven't seen it yet.

KES said...

They are all on Netflix - well, maybe one or two are not, but most are. I did watch Kings of Pastry last year - when they were doing the sugar pieces I was so tense for them.