This is our main tour guide. Don't worry there were several other individuals also dressed up in period garb who shared stories at different grave sites.
I was walking by this headstone at a pace just fast enough to read the first two lines.
Stopped me dead in my tracks.
Upon reading the headstone in entirety I was much less shocked. I wonder if this association has had a resurgence in the past few years.
I may have mentioned before that this cemetery has an adopt a plot program (which I was crushed to learn requires a 2-year commitment), where one takes care of a plot which has no relations to care for it. Hence almost every plot is a fountain of blooms. It really is one of the most botanical cemeteries I seen.
On top of the amazing flowers the majority of the headstones are unique and visually stunning. Next month's history tour focuses on headstone carving...I die. I have to make room in my schedule.
This monument to Ulises S. Grant and the Civil War is actually painted. I've never seen that before, stained glass - yes, painted sculptures - no.
The last stop on the tour was the firefighters plot. Each headstone listed the engine co. number of individual.
Glad Dad is now retired.
The weather was beautiful (minus the wind). It was a great Saturday morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment