Monday, May 10, 2010

Mom Jeans!

This weekend I stayed with the folks, I had intended to drive home Sunday night but of course I was having so much fun playing Mexican Train with G, Dan, B and C that I let time slip away. I'd worn paint stained workout pants there and only brought my church clothes for Sunday. Monday morning I would face a problem if an solution couldn't be found. My church clothes would have worked but there was no way the heels I'd worn to church would make it through my workday (especially when I'd just gone to the chiropractor Friday because my feet had been sore to the point of limping for a week) and my sneakers wouldn't have gone well with black tights. I found a pair of suit pants I'd left at home, but they also required the heels - no go.

I sacrificed my pride instead of taking the pain in my feet. I wore a pair of my Mum's old jeans. She'd left them in the closet for J, where I will gladly return them. Lets just say that I was too embarrassed to get out of my car to go get lunch, so I drove across town to where I knew I wouldn't see anyone I knew and then awkwardly got out. I left my desk as rarely as possible and spent a great deal of time obsessing over the fact that the tapered jeans I was wearing were not "me" at all. This story was related, with visual, to all my amused coworkers who apparently had no idea that I was so terrified of unwanted attention. I haven't worn a pair of pants so unflattering since my elementary school stretch-pants days or perhaps the mustard hued plaid pants I had in high school (though that was more a textile issue rather than a fit problem).

My mental state may have suffered but my feet however are fine :)

Needless to say, I am going to start carrying a change of clothes in my car, just in case I am ever again caught without approved pants. Though I suppose a different pair of shoes would have worked equally well.

Mum - I'll upgrade a replacement for you :)

2 comments:

Tali Nay said...

loved this story. too funny!

Sarah Metcalf said...

Oh Kristen, you are so stylish. Becky and I were just talking about how adorable you always look. And because of that, I would have loved to see you in those jeans!