Sunday, December 27, 2009

The joys of Christmas!

The last week felt as though it lasted an entire month. Saturday the 19th B, J, J and I departed to return the J’s to Provo. Lil'J was a sport, even if we did have to stop many a time for him. We capped off the day with dinner at Café Rio. Which I am pleased to say met my expectations (the last few times I had gone since leaving Utah had been a disappointment). Sunday we watched little J and went visiting. Monday morning was a flurry of activity as we did Christmas shopping on behalf of mother Svz and prepared to leave at 1pm. We had originally planned to stay longer but a storm was approaching and our window of opportunity (according to the internet) was small. By the time we left at 2pm we received the unfortunate news that the storm would probably meet us at Tahoe, but B, JG’s cousin I and I forged on. Little did the poor boys know that they would end up being the official chain gang. Highlights – lunch from Kneaders as we drove out of town, the ‘Wheel of Time’ audio book, ‘Wait wait don’t tell me’ podcast, getting pulled over and not getting a ticket, taking 3 hours to cover what should have been 20 min of distance.

The most interesting occurrence was probably the non-ticket. I have now been pulled over for the very first time in my life. Honestly (besides being exasperated that the highway patrol would waste their time pulling me over when I wasn't going ten miles over the speed limit) I was a little thrilled at being pulled over. I guess I am grateful they pulled me over then and not ten min earlier when I was going over 95mph. The officer was nice:

Asked how to pronounce Svz – just like it sounds
Where were we coming from – Provo, returning home to CA
What had we been doing there – Returning pregnant sister and young nephew home before Christmas
What was the rush – The approaching storm

“Normally I wouldn’t bother pulling someone over going 84, but there was a switchback and it has been really slow out here”

At this point I actually wondered if he MIGHT give me a ticket.

“So do you have any questions?”

Phew! “Nope” giving what I hoped was a pleading smile. Officer chuckles “Well the speed limit is 75”. Guilty smile on my part – as there is no way I am going to stick to 75 the whole way home. Off we went. B of course immediately phoned mother Svz to relate the adventure. No matter how fast we went it didn’t make up for having to drive under 30 for miles through the Sierra’s.

My next Christmas story comes from the Svz family gathering – J this is for you.

The S grandparents are sometimes infamous for their gifts – examples, a charming box my grandfather personally made using yarn to sew postcards together, a breakfast bottle of ketchup and hot sauce from a Reno hotel breakfast buffet, bottles of lotion and shampoo/conditioner from a recently or not-so-recently visited motel...you get the idea.

In 2009 we did a surprise gifting. My grandma wrapped a number of gifts and we each went up and picked one. You did of course have the option of stealing the gift of one relative or another. This “game” my mother instigated last Christmas using different candy bars. It was such a hit my grandmother created her own version using random items. My turn arrived and I picked a moderate sized box. Once unwrapped I found a box of stationary, or so it seemed.




I began to open it in order to examine the selection of cards inside when my ear caught a shuffling noise from within that did not indicate the movement of paper. Grandma then spoke up warning everyone that my gift was “unique”, and that it was.




Containing signature items of the Svz grandparent’s household. Anyone could see from the contents my Grandmother's love of freebies. She collects anything anyone hands out at the senior center – just in case. At some point during visits to the grandparents a bag of goodies will appear and we will be offered an array of pencils, key chains, stress balls, etc. The Christmas smorgasbord did not disappoint:

A pull-a-part Pizza Cutter (with RSVP printed on it)

A key chain from the Engineering Division of the City of South San Francisco which included a small level

A purple letter opener from the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program of San Mateo County

A Wells Fargo keychain

A night light from the Sutter Mills-Peninsula Senior Focus

A visor sunglass clip from the United States 2010 Census

Two pens from the Mission Hospice

And three pencils:

“Discover San Mateo County Parks – Volunteer www.eparks.net”
“AAA www.aaa.com”
“BA GoGreen RideBART www.bart.gov”




And finally a roll of quarters worth 5 dollars (not pictured as it has been deposited in the piggy bank)

All my Christmas wishes are fulfilled.

1 comment:

jes said...

I can't believe no one stole the special package from you when it came with $5. But what a brilliant way to get rid of even more than one nick nack per person!