Saturday, May 16, 2009

LLM Graduation

Summer Begins!

For me the crazy summer work schedule is always ushered in by the graduation of the latest LLM students. When graduation comes around I know things are going to start getting crazy!
It is also the first weekend I have to work - and putting 9 hours in on a Saturday does a number on you. I am exhausted. So for all of you who only get to hear about my glamorous international career here are some photos.


This is a photo of the entire class (with a few guests). While they tried to get me to stand front and center I demurely relegated myself to the back of the group, where I apparently was looking at someone else with a camera.


Here are two of my favorite students Okkes (pronon: Oak-esh) from Turkey and F from France (Okay, they are all my favorites, but...). Naturally F is fantastic and we have a great time. She was SO much fun at graduation - which may have been due to the fact that she finished almost a entire bottle of Champagne by herself. Okkes and I had the following conversation soon after he arrived,
Okkes: K, we will all miss you!
Me (explaining in my most open and straightforward perfectly serious tone): Yes you will!
He thought I was incredibly funny because he laughed for several minutes and then proceeded to share my HILARIOUS response with several individuals, it was entertaining. Later as he was saying goodbye he said:
"K, keep in touch! If you ever need anything just let me know. I can't give you the world (stretching his arms out, apparently to show me how big the world is), but I can give you Turkey!"
Me: Um, thanks? (Not entirely sure what he meant, but apparently I have a country at my disposal should I ever need it-yes!).


This is me and D from Georgia. D has been planning for this photo for months and it is not a terribly photogenic one of me. The planning started in January. "K, I must take a photo with you". A few weeks later he brought it up again and then added some off hand remark about how when he got back to Georgia he would have it printed life size, instead I got "I will send this picture to my mother, she loves you".

I guess I can understand that his mother loves me because last summer when we were making arrangements for D to come to Davis to study, D was conscripted into the army for several weeks. Don't ask me how this works but all I know is that suddenly he was gone and I was receiving urgent emails form his mother who was, of course, worried about him, overwhelmed by having to make his preparations for departure, and anxious about his leaving to spend 9 months studying in the US. She and I exchanged emails regularly for several weeks until she was able to let me know that Davit was able to change his flights and arrive in America.

So there you are - another brief glimpse into my job!

1 comment:

Seth and Sarah said...

Oh, I love that picture with Davit. A very cute one to have blown up life size. I hope he does it! Crazy story. And I'm glad there are such charmingly funny times at work.